ANN ARBOR, MI – Ann Arbor Father Gabriel Richard High School has suspended in-person learning due to a number of COVID-19 cases in students.
The Catholic high school’s administration announced it would transition to its Irish Online learning program beginning Wednesday, Oct. 7, at the recommendation of the Washtenaw County Health Department. The school also has suspended all extracurricular and athletic activities.
In a statement, Father Gabriel Richard administrators said much of the spread of COVID-19 cases among students is believed to be attributed to social gatherings outside of school.
“We have not had confirmation of spread occurring during the school day, so we feel confident that the measures we have in place are working,” administrators said in a statement. “We strongly urge all students to be mindful of the impact of their personal actions outside of school upon the whole school community.”
No further details were provided by the school on how long it expects to be in online learning.
Athletic activities are expected to resume the week of Oct. 19, Father Gabriel Richard Athletic Director Mickey Redmond said.
Father Gabriel Richard’s football team canceled its football game last week against Detroit UD Jesuit as a precaution after a probable case was discovered that impacted the team, Redmond said.
After a positive test, the all members of the football team were quarantined, according to a separate statement from FGR administration on Saturday, Oct. 3.
Father Gabriel Richard began the academic year offering students the choice between in-person classes and the Irish Online virtual program.
Father Gabriel Richard suspends athletic activities after positive COVID-19 cases
Whitmore Lake Public Schools temporarily moves to remote learning after COVID-19 case
COVID-19 case confirmed at Saline High School
©2020 MLive.com, Walker, Mich.
Visit MLive.com, Walker, Mich. at www.mlive.com.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.